The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Seventeen-year-old Mara cannot remember the accident that took the lives of three of her friends but, after moving from Rhode Island to Florida, finding love with Noah, and more deaths, she realizes uncovering something buried in her memory might save her family and her future.

The hype surrounding this book was absolutely insane, and I admit that I too was extremely pumped about this book.

Unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed! I felt the idea of the mysterious, aloof, handsome guy who is a complete ass to you but you still find him attractive to be completely annoying. What does that teach girls? Even though this guy is a complete douche, if I remain his loyal puppy he'll grow to love me. Not cool.

There were some parts of the novel that I found creepy, but overall I didn't find it to live up to the hype it received. Maybe I'm too much of a critic for creepy YA books, but it fell flat for me. The only part that really freaked me out was the scene with the VooDoo man. I have to say that was awesomely written! I hated the part about the dog, it made my stomach turn and I almost stopped reading right there.

I'm really hoping now that the romance is established, the next book will be better. I thought the romance was too much of a focus and I ended the book wanting more of the plot. Disappointing, but I'm not going to lose hope just yet!

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up